Hie Shrine was designated as a First Class Government Shrine before the Second World War, and was a highly respected place of worship for the people of Tokyo.
The deity enshrined is Oyamakui-no-kami, the god of Mount Hie in Shiga prefecture. This deity is more commonly known as Hie-no-kami. Hie Shrine derives its name from this deity.
Since the Heian Period, many branch shrines of the Hie Shrine in Shiga prefecture were built throughout Japan.
The history of this Hie Shrine goes back to the beginning of the Kamakura Period when a man named Edo built a Hie Shrine for the guardian deity of his residence on grounds of the present Imperial Palace.
In 1478, Ota Dokan constructed Edo Castle on the site of the present Imperial Palace. He also erected a Sanno-Hie Shrine in the compound for a guardian deity of the castle.
The Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa began ruling Japan from Edo Castle. He also became a patron of the Hie Shrine and worshipped the deity as the protector of Edo, the old name for Tokyo. The citizens of Edo also had the strongest faith in Hie Shrine, which enshrined the guardian deity of the Shogun.
In 1607, the shrine was moved outside of Edo Castle to Hayabusa-cho, near the present Kokuritsu Gekijo National Theatre. This allowed the citizens of Edo to visit and worship at the shrine. In 1657, Hie Shrine and much of Edo was destroyed by fire. However, in 1659, Shogun Ietsuna Tokugawa rebuilt the shrine at its present location.
The shrine buildings were constructed in the Gongen-Zukuri style with vermilion-lacquered finishings. The Gongen Zukuri style consists of a complex roof system in which the Haiden hall of worship and Honden inner sanctuary are connected. The Heiden offering hall, Haiden hall of worship, Honden inner sanctuary and Roumon gate were so magnificent that they were authorized as National Treasures.
Regrettably, the shrine buildings were burnt down in the bombing of Tokyo during the Second World War, in 1945. The present shrine buildings were constructed in 1958 with contributions from numerous parishioners and worshippers.
The Sanno Torii is characterized by a triangular gable (roof) on top of the Myojin Torii, which is said to represent the union of Buddhist fetus world, Kongo world and Shinto. It is called Sanno Torii because it is a symbol of the Sanno faith. Sanno worship is said to have been taken as a guardian deity of Mt. Hiei when “Sancho’s guardian deity” Mt. It is a Shinto and Buddhist religion that calls Hiyoshi Okami the “Sanno Gongen”. Since it is a unique torii gate, there are not a few examples of branch temples that imitate this torii gate. The Sanno Torii gates are located at three locations: Omotesando, Urasando and Nishisando. As a royal road, it is recommended to visit from Omotesando. From the back approach, you can go up to the precincts by escalator, so please use this if you have difficulty walking or are elderly.
On the ceiling of the main hall, a board painting depicting the wilderness of Musashino in the Kamakura era, which was created in 2008 under the supervision of Ryohei Miyata, the President of Tokyo University of the Arts, was held to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the restoration of Hie Shrine.
The shrine of Hie Shrine has a feature that is very different from other shrines. It is a place where the statue of a god monkey, made by Mr. Keiun Suzuki, was donated in 1942, and not a guardian dog. Originally, monkeys were said to have created a relationship between gods and humans and created and raised trees and creatures as the guardian deities of the mountains. Oyama Himegami is sometimes called the mountain god, and it seems that the monkey, also called the mountain guardian, was used as a messenger. To the left of the main shrine is the female god monkey statue. It is said that holding a baby monkey has the benefit of child-rearing and easy delivery. There are many women who wish to have a marriage, give a baby, or have a safe delivery, and they cannot stop visiting. To the right of the main shrine is the male god monkey statue.
It is considered to be superior (Masaru) or “Magic (Masaru)” from the sound of “Caru”, and it is placed as a god of good luck or an amulet. Many people come to pray for business prosperity and matchmaking, thinking that the monkeys will bring the “en” from the sound of “en” in the on-reading.
The front side of the Shinmon is “Hie Shrine”, and the back side (inside) is “Koujo no Chin”. On the left and right sides of the table are the statues of Zuijin, and on the left and right sides of the back are the statues of Shinzen monkeys. Both are to the left and right toward the gate. This type of gate is called Zuishinmon, Yadaijinmon, or Yashomon.
The Hie Shrine has a “treasure hall” where treasures are stored. It was built in the following year as a commemorative project of the 500th anniversary of the Goshoza in Edo Castle held in 1978. In addition to 31 swords including national treasures and important cultural properties, many treasures related to the Tokugawa Shogunate are stored.
“Sazare stone,” which is also described in the national anthem “Kimigayo,” has a scientific name of calcareous breccia. Limestone dissolves in rainwater, and the water containing the lime sometimes becomes a milky state with strong adhesiveness, and pebbles gather under the ground to grow. Eventually, the stone appears on the ground and, like the national anthem, it is a stone with a unique landscape with a moss rustling after the Chiyo and Yachiyo years.
At the end of Hie Shrine, Sanno Inari Shrine is on the left and Sarutahiko Shrine is on the right. Sanno Inari Shrine is the landlord deity of Hie Shrine, which was enshrined in this area before the Hie Shrine was relocated. Sarutahiko Shrine is enshrined with the god “Sarutahikokami”, the god who leads things in a good direction.
YAMANO CHAYA is a long-established eel restaurant founded in the Hie Shrine company, which was founded in the second year of Kanei era.
The Capitol Hotel Tokyu is located in the corner of Hie Shrine where the greenery spreads out. It provides a space where you can feel the changes of the four seasons and a time of “relaxation” that is unleashed from your daily life.